Thursday, April 9, 2009

Week 1

This first week has been a trial gaming phase for me. I registered for EVE Online and pretty much hated it. The learning curve was exactly like the graph Wanda showed in class, terrible. Also the UI was horrendously atrocius. It was hard to navigate anywhere, and it was a completely different MMORPG experience than the past fantasy MMORPGs I usually played. Even trying to initiate the tutorial was not intuitive. When starting the game, I accidentally skipped the option of choosing whether to take the tutorial or not. I ended up having to delete my character (which apparently takes 10 hours?!?) and creating a new one in order to be able to go through the tutorial. I did manage to play a little over an hour and then logged off, hopefully for the first and last time. What I thought that with the Sci-Fi genre there would be cool space ship shooting and supernova explosions, turned out to be a clicking through a bottomless hole of unappealing drop down menus. Despite my own experience though, the conversation with Ryan Dancy (which was probably about every little detail possible) was fascinating. 

I was really anticipating starting WoW with the class this week as well, but sadly we won't be starting for another month (I guess that's good since I know I'll be addicted). I'm sure I'll live, as I was a person who actually bought WoW when it was first released, hand it in my hands, and then sold it to my friend in order to stop my MMORPG addictions. I will just have to be a good little boy and wait =)

No comments:

Post a Comment